Node-RED for Windows
Node-RED is a powerful open-source flow-based development tool for visual programming in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. If you're using a KIWI310 device and want to harness the capabilities of Node-RED on a Windows environment, you're in the right place. This step-by-step guide will walk you through the installation process, allowing you to integrate Node-RED into your KIWI310 development environment seamlessly. If your development environment is Linux, please follow this accompanying_post.
Before we begin, make sure you have the following prerequisites in place:
- KIWI310 device with Windows operating system (Windows 10 or later).
- A stable internet connection.
Follow these steps to install Node-RED on your KIWI310 with a Windows system:
- Node-RED is built on Node.js, so the first step is to install it by visiting the official website (https://nodejs.org/en/blog/release/v18.17.0) and download the v18.17.0 version. Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Once Node.js is installed, open a Command Prompt and type the following command to install Node-RED globally:
npm install -g --unsafe-perm -g node-red
This command will download and install Node-RED and its dependencies. The
--unsafe-perm flag may be necessary on some Windows systems to avoid permission issues during the installation.
- To integrate KIWI310 nodes into Node-RED, install the `node-red-contrib-kiwi310` package, so exit Node-RED if it's running. Navigate to the Node-RED directory and install the `node-red-contrib-kiwi310` package.
npm i node-red-contrib-kiwi310
- Restart Node-RED to apply the changes. This command will launch the Node-RED runtime, and you will see an output indicating that Node-RED is running.
- Open a web browser and navigate to
http://localhost:1880access the Node-RED editor.
You can create, modify, and deploy flows in the Node-RED editor. The intuitive web-based editor allows you to design your IoT applications visually by connecting nodes.
Congratulations! You've now installed Node-RED on your KIWI310 device, and you're ready to start building IoT applications using its intuitive visual programming interface. Explore the Node-RED documentation for more information on creating flows and integrating various nodes to enhance your IoT projects.
KIWIboard is a complete solution provider, supporting all aspects of your project, from hardware to software to system integration, to keep your application running securely, reliably, and at peak performance. KIWIboard builds its products for high reliability, performance, security, scalability, and versatility. So, customers can expect a long lifespan, quickly adapt to evolving system requirements, and adopt future technologies as they emerge.
Ready to talk about your projects with a KIWIboard expert? Contact us
Want to hear more from KIWIboard? for our newsletterSign up
Or request a quotation